Product Development Manager
Head Office, Product & Marketing
We are the AA. And we keep everyone’s show on the road. There for our customers wherever and whenever they need us, we’re always ready for anything. That’s why, for over 100 years, we’ve continued to evolve and adapt. Today, as the nation’s number one motoring organization, we offer a range of excellent products and services to millions of customers.
This is the job
Service development and optimising customer experience play a critical role in ensuring the success of new and existing products. This role works closely with multiple functions across the business to define customer propositions and journeys, ensuring the needs of customers are appropriately balanced against business requirements and capabilities.
This role will focus on defining the experience for certain prioritised products and services – be that optimising for what’s already in market or working on new capability. You’ll work on projects specific to individual P&L’s as well as those which are product agnostic. Critically, you will think business wide, understanding how experience flows across products and channels in a way which optimises the quality of the service we deliver to our customers.
You’ll take a holistic approach to service development, considering the customer & colleague experience as well as the internal IT and operational capabilities available. You will create a roadmap for the journeys you are assigned to based on an appropriate balance of these factors and implement this by feeding requirements directly into the relevant IT and operational areas, ensuring these are delivered in line with expectations. You will be the ‘bridge’ between the commercial and delivery functions, being able to translate a product or service vision into tangible deliverables which the relevant areas can build and implement. For that reason, you will have both a relentless customer focus, together with a very practical understanding of producing business requirements and how operational functions work to get your target experiences to market.
What will I be doing?
- Own the end-to-end experience for specified customer journeys and product areas, using service blueprinting to map all interactions and then identify optimisation opportunities to produce the best customer experience and operational efficiency balance
- Working closely with Service Designers to shape the ideal customer / colleague experience using relevant customer and business insight and then work with the relevant delivery teams, for example IT or Operations, to determine how best the ideal experience can be realised and delivered
- Build and manage strategic service development roadmaps for product areas which addresses our customer’s problems (B2C, B2B or B2B2C) and delivers value to the AA – will need to work with relevant business stakeholders to prioritise change based on business objectives
- Act as a key point of contact for the business in planning, managing, prioritising and executing priority customer journey developments
- Work closely with Digital CX, Digital Product Owners, Engineering, Product Management, Group Marketing, Technical Services, Operations and IT to support the implementation of service improvements both within new product design and in life product management
- Continuously scan the external market to identify best practice approaches that can be adopted in-house, as well as to identify potential competitive threats to add to our overall roadmap planning
- Champion the importance of service development in balancing customer experience with business objectives providing external input and best practice
What do I need?
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 5 years product or customer journey development and management experience, with experience working in an agile environment preferable
- Experience of service blueprint mapping and translation into tangible deliverables to support optimisation
- Experience of developing user experience, user journeys and customer facing propositions based on various customer research and insight methodologies
- Customer-focused, collaborative leader with the ambition to help design and implement the best driving services for our users
- Able to demonstrate sound consumer-led thinking, and an ability to seek out relevant pieces of understanding and insight. Can propose initiatives and solutions based on customer understanding
- Comfortable using data to tackle problems and determine simple solutions to move the business forwards
- Solid commercial instincts. Able to balance both the longer term development of the business and the inevitable short-term tactical requirements
- Comfortable managing a significant level of detail without losing sight of the big picture
- Highly experienced in stakeholder management, and comfortable collaborating widely at all levels of the business.
- Experience of influencing other teams / achieving results through others
- Ability to lead cross functional project teams within a matrix structure
- Strategic thinker – able to see how the business and product offering might evolve as the landscape changes
- Able to work well with ambiguity
- Comfortable with shifting from long term to short term horizons and to work on a variety of projects with a variety of stakeholders
- Passion to continue to learn, including usage of new tools and methods to continuously improve product management and user experiences
- Comfortable getting scrappy to find simple solutions which result in a great customer experience
- Excellent organisational skills
- Works effectively with others, building productive, collaborative relationships across departments and with third parties.
What else is expected of me?
Good conduct matters at the AA. It's very important that you act with honesty & integrity, are respectful of others and have a consistent desire to do the right thing. Everyone at the AA lives these behaviours, so we are all able to support the delivery of good outcomes for our customers.