We are the AA. And we keep everyone’s show on the road. There for our customers wherever and whenever they need us, we’re always ready for anything. That’s why, for over 100 years, we’ve continued to evolve and adapt. Today, as the nation’s number one motoring organization, we offer a range of excellent products and services to millions of customers.
- London East / Essex
- London South / Kent
- London West / Surrey
- South Yorkshire
- M8 Corridor (Scotland)
Salary: £21,060 + bonus - OTE £26,088
Full time, permanent.
This is the job
• Contributing to the effective operation of the Association's Manufacturer Recall Business by undertaking Inspections, Repairs and Servicing in accordance with established conditions and operating instructions.
• You will be required to undertake vehicle repairs, remedial work in accordance with established conditions and operating instructions.
• You will be required to undertake vehicle Pre repair checks / Post repair checks and report findings accurately.
• You will need to have good business acumen to be able to convey our findings in a suitable manner for the customer and be able to undertake these repairs in a safe and effective manner.
• Providing advice and assistance within own area of competence, ensuring that in other cases where Members require assistance they are directed to the appropriate AA service or department.
• Promoting the Association and its services by projecting an efficient and professional image at all times.
• Contributing to the effective operation and commercial benefit of AA business by providing a vehicle repair to AA business customers / organisations when requested to do so. Carry out vehicle repairs to a high standard on client’s premises against set criteria within set time frames.
• Must be literate / numerate and able to write / read English.
• Ablility to work on site / customer locations without direct supervision from their line manager / superior.
• Working times will be flexible and may cover bank holidays, evenings and weekends.
• Flexible approach with regards to travelling, you may on occasion be required to stay overnight (hotel & meals provided).
• Ensuring PPE issued equipment is used and ensure compliance with any site specific H+S instructions given by the AA’s clients.
• Working to AA issued codes of conduct covering personal standards.
What will I be doing?
• Undertaking to a high standard an effective and safe Inspection / repair / servicing of vehicles both private and commercial at the scene of the agreed location.
• E.G Repair of a vehicle / job scheduled within time frames agreed with our customer. We will only be undertaking repairs which are feasible within the parameters of the location the vehicle is sited at.
• Ensuring the optimum use of time and costs when undertaking this work, working within ICME repair times.
• Maintaining a high standard of driving, courtesy and effectiveness in dealing with Members and the general public and uphold the traditions and image of the Association with an appropriate awareness of personal and customer’s safety at all times.
• Keeping abreast of technological and safety developments as they affect the diagnosis and repair of motor vehicles. This may involve attending manufacturer courses and AA courses some of which could be residential.
• Maintaining a thorough knowledge of all types of vehicles.
• Be fully conversant with all hand held communication systems used within the AA operations and ensure that all communication is maintained to the standards required by the Association and its customers.
• Maintaining to a high standard of serviceability and cleanliness any AA vehicle, tools and equipment issued for individual use, maintaining accurate records of vehicle work carried out in accordance with current procedures and Health and Safety requirements.
• Maintaining accurate records of all paperwork necessary to ensure satisfactory job performance in accordance with current procedures.
What do I need?
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Mechanical qualifications at L1 or above City and Guilds or L1 or above NVQ in mechanics or Equivalent
- Literate and Numerate in English
- Good timekeeper
- Able to work out doors in all weathers
- Driving licence (car) with max 6 points
- Ability to get to client’s sites/locations (company vehicle provided)
- 2 Good references, 1 being from the previous employer.
- Aptitude for good human relations in dealing with the general public under all conditions.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work with other workers not employed by the AA on the same working site
- Previous Garage/workshop Experience
- Previous car inspection or appraisal work
- Previous MOT experience
- At least 2 year’s industry experience within last 5 years.
- Additional Information (including any qualifications required):
- L1 or above City and guilds/NVQ in mechanical (or above)
- Must be able to attend a residential training period of up to 2 weeks
- Good general standard of education with a sound practical knowledge of the mechanical and electrical workings of motor vehicles and an ability to effect repairs, following satisfactory completion of Recruitment Training course.
- Basic knowledge of motoring law and ability to give evidence in court as required. Aptitude for good human relations in dealing with the general public under all conditions.
- Must maintain a driving licence.