Senior IT Delivery Lead
Head Office, IT
We are the AA. And we keep everyone’s show on the road. There for our customers wherever and whenever they need us, we’re always ready for anything. That’s why, for over 100 years, we’ve continued to evolve and adapt. Today, as the nation’s number one motoring organization, we offer a range of excellent products and services to millions of customers.
This is the job
The Senior IT Delivery Lead is accountable for the full lifecycle for product delivery within your assigned area. This will include architecture, design, analysis, build, test, and L3 support activities. You will manage all development and integration activities associated with medium to complex cross-functional projects, within your product area. You will be responsible to build and maintain the capabilities required to meet the current and future needs of the organisation, utilising onshore and offshore teams.
This role will initially focus on re-engineering of our core legacy call handling and deployment applications, moving to a strategic platform.
You will specialise in a particular area of expertise as described below and are expected to model delivery excellence for members of the team and engaged partner resources. This will include providing technical guidance, process improvement and strategic direction .
This role requires a technical (Development Manager) background combined with a strong managerial/delivery experience.
What will I be doing?
- Establishing and managing a new product team, aligned with the strategic direction of the organisation
- Working with the existing team to help reverse engineer the current application stack and document the output with a view on supporting the future vision
- Work closely with business & IT stakeholders and our delivery partners to understand the business requirements and drive the development of high-quality technical solutions.
- Managing detailed delivery plans, aligned to project deliveries
- Accountable for architecture and solution design, identifying innovative solutions to business requirements, driving standardisation and re-usability.
- Provide development estimates for assigned changes/projects. This will include challenging estimates provided by external development partners. Manages demand as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Collaborate with enterprise and business architecture, IT operations, security and external partners to ensure low level design and build are fully aligned to business requirements.
- Manages resource scheduling and conflicts
- People management responsibility for multiple direct reports, onshore and offshore. This will include architect, developers, Business analyst, Testers.
- Creating a collaborative working environment that leads to the adoption and enhancement of Agile practices, where appropriate.
- Manage the design, development and testing for assigned applications to meet both functional and non-functional requirements, within budget and timescale. Expected to apply knowledge of industry trends/standards to improve technical deliveries and service.
- Using your strong technical background provide guidance and coaching for the team.
- Representation as required on project management teams and steering groups and communication to C level.
- Facilitation of knowledge management and reverse engineering workshops.
- Ensure adherence and contribution to governance, standards and audit requirements .
- Interviews and selects onshore and offshore developers and consultants to build/maintain required development capability.
Model best practice, acting as a role model for more members of the product team. This includes consistently exceeding the defined development KPIs in your own delivery and supporting other members.
What do I need?
Autonomy, Responsibility and Authority
- Has responsibility for planning and coordination of his own actions and that of the product team.
- Responsible for delivery of assigned portfolio projects.
- Ensuring excellent matrix communication and influence between the Development teams, Project managers, Delivery Leads, Architecture, business and Third party service provides
- Responsible for the allocated applications to be supported, maintained and in working order to support the business needs
- Responsible to cross train your team ensuring an in depth understanding of the application and processes within your assigned portfolio, ensuring multi-tiered depth knowledge
- Responsible for the management of all application assets i.e documents, Wikki’s etc
- Provide support handover to L2 and IT ops support teams
Capability, Knowledge & Expertise
- Strong background in application design
- Possesses significant knowledge of development design principles.
- Has experience on reverse engineering applications with documented outputs
- Previous experience of real time scheduling is beneficial in this role
- An in depth understanding of the full Software Delivery Lifecycle.
- Project management skills in agile and/or Waterfall
- Medium-large scale development programmes/projects.
Technical & Functional Experience
- Extensive experience as an IT delivery Lead
- This program migrates legacy C applications to a strategic cloud based/supplier applications. The following technical skills would be beneficial
- C Language
- Azure cloud development
- AngularJS, Node JS, API Integration, JSON Services.
- Full Stack Development experience (From DB layer to presentation layer)
- Oracle / SQL Database technology
- Shell Scripting
- Must have strong team management ability, influencing and organizational awareness.
- Strong analytical and management skills
- Interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal communication skills
- Coaching and mentoring
- Vendor or offshore management experience will be advantageous
- Leadership and management experience
Education and Qualifications:
- Must have a degree or equivalent qualification.
Related professional qualifications are beneficial, but not essential.
What else is expected of me?
Good conduct matters at the AA. It's very important that you act with honesty & integrity, are respectful of others and have a consistent desire to do the right thing. Everyone at the AA lives these behaviours, so we are all able to support the delivery of good outcomes for our customers.