Head Office, IT
We are the AA. And we keep everyone’s show on the road. There for our customers wherever and whenever they need us, we’re always ready for anything. That’s why, for over 100 years, we’ve continued to evolve and adapt. Today, as the nation’s number one motoring organization, we offer a range of excellent products and services to millions of customers.
This is the job
As an Application Architect you will be an integral member of the product team in the road tower, working closely with the business and other areas of IT. You will take responsibility for defining and maintaining the Solutions within your designated portfolio. You will ensure you act as the Road Tower representative of architecture for legacy and strategic products, translating domain strategy and delivery requirements into architecture and solution designs which can be iteratively developed in an agile or waterfall framework. The designs will represent business and IT requirements for small, medium and large change projects. You will contribute to the wider cross tower architecture forums, setting standards and ensuring best practice is adhere to.
This role will be part of a team that will initially focus on reverse engineering our core legacy applications written in C, C++ and implementing replacement strategic application(s) in a best of breed technology (likely to be cloud hosted) to ensure the AA remains best in class.
What will I be doing?
- You will be responsible for end to end architecture for core road applications, both current and strategic
- Work with key stakeholders to create and then own the legacy architecture assets and solution architecture products.
- Work with key stakeholders and external consultants to define a future strategic application platform to meet business requirements
- Ensure there is clear ownership and communication regarding architecture decisions to the stakeholders, design and approval forums
- Key to providing direction and support to stakeholders, Project Managers/ Agile Delivery Managers/ Scrum Masters and Business Analysts to understand the requirements (functional and non-functional), benefits, effort estimations.
- The role will involve creating design documents that will cover the following areas, Environmental architecture designs, Technical Solution architecture designs, Process and Data Flows, Integration Patterns, contributing to business process flows etc
- Ensuring adherence to securing development standards, technical standards and company policies
- Define and manage non-functional requirements i.e environment, database storage, processing, network, licencing, and security
- Working with Development Lead, analyse and estimate the effort required to deliver the projects
- Monitor design decisions, conduct design assurance activities (incl. perform peer to peer design review, raise design issues and concerns), and ensure alignment with development and delivery standard
- As required provide support to business critical incidents, attend deep dive incident management reviews to improve the quality of solutions.
- Identify and escalate risks and issues related to systems or data requirements, where necessary; support identification, selection and implementation of risk mitigation activities
What do I need?
- At least 10 years of architecture/solution design experience
- Industry awareness with the ability to drive strategic road maps
- Previous experience in real time scheduling applications and/or customer service applications will be beneficial
- Essential to have previous development experience
- Advantageous to have been involved in reverse engineering and modelling future applications
- Strong Knowledge of integration patterns and principles used, cloud technologies and migrations (MS Azure).
- Full stack technical design experience ( Environment, database, integration, application)
- Proven ability to understand business processes, use cases and identify exceptions
- Experience working with software vendors, system integrators and contractors in multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in bringing critical insights and suggestions for continual improvement into process and solution design
- Ability to work proactively and independently. Comfortable working at working up to C level.
- Demonstrates attention to detail, ability to adhere to plan and communicate progress and risks effectively
- Good written and verbal communication skills, able to negotiate, influence, inspire and motivate at all levels
- Good facilitation and presentation skills
What else is expected of me?
Good conduct matters at the AA. It's very important that you act with honesty & integrity, are respectful of others and have a consistent desire to do the right thing. Everyone at the AA lives these behaviours, so we are all able to support the delivery of good outcomes for our customers.
From the road to the customer contact centres and head office, our team are ready for anything. We enjoy helping customers with great products and services and take pride in giving the support that keeps us all moving. So if you are ready to go the extra mile, you will find a job you will love with us.
- Working within a great culture
- Generous salary, car allowance, bonus, medical and pension scheme
- Great development opportunities
- 25 days’ holiday plus options to purchase additional.
- Vehicle Breakdown incentives.
Opportunities to expand your Technical & Managerial knowledge