Lead User Experience Researcher
Head Office, Digital
We are the AA. And we keep everyone’s show on the road. There for our customers wherever and whenever they need us, we’re always ready for anything. That’s why, for over 100 years, we’ve continued to evolve and adapt. Today, as the nation’s number one motoring organization, we offer a range of excellent products and services to millions of customers.
Salary: Up to £80K
Full TIme/Permanent position
This is the job
Join us in London as a Lead User Experience Researcher in the Digital team. Reporting directly to the Head of Experience Design, you will lead the research discipline across the Customer Experience team and facilitate a customer-centric approach from problem definition through to solution delivery.
This is very much a hands-on role, where you will take a flexible approach drawing from a wide toolkit of methodologies: from formative research through to lean approaches to support the needs of different projects. You will be working closely with the Design, Content, Marketing and Analytics teams to bring together quantitative and qualitative insights to ensure the customer is at the centre of decision making.
You'll not only conduct research, you will also facilitate design thinking to shape the experiences we should design (not just how we design them). You’ll enjoy storytelling and facilitating, with the ability to bring together a range of stakeholders and cross functional teams and immerse them in customer insights to ensure we are solving the right problems.
In addition, you will be coaching and mentoring Experience Designers and Content Editors in conducting research in their product teams, leading best in class research practice within the Digital Customer Experience team.
We’re looking for an experienced researcher with strong facilitation skills, and a natural ability and desire to mentor and coach others. You will have a proven track record in the application of a wide range of methodologies to drive user-centric approaches that achieve customer and business goals. As well as leading research, you will also be confident in guiding the team to choose the right techniques for their projects, helping them to focus their colleagues on the real challenges our customers face as they interact with the AA.
As an individual, you will be solely responsible for leading UX research across our digital estate. Your role is strategically important, and your influence will be key to the success of our strategy to Make Britain’s Driving Life Better. You will be expected to work closely with senior stakeholders such as the Head of Brand, Head of Product, Tech Leads and Solution Architects to ensure creative and experiential alignment across products, channels and technology.
You will be expected to lead by example. The Designers and Editors will look to you to set the standard for user research. You will appreciate their diverse skillsets and encourage them to challenge and raise their own standards.
What will I be doing?
- Influence business stakeholders to buy into user-centric design and focus on customer goals
- Inspire colleagues, up to director and exec level, about design and Customer Experience
- Lead the approach to formative research and discovery which could include a combination of hands on research practice and overseeing third parties
- Facilitate human-centred discovery with a range of stakeholders up to exec level
- Coach and mentor Designers and Editors in research methodologies
- Take responsibility for the quality of UX Research across the Digital CX Team
- Work closely with insights teams across the organisation to bring together insights and drive a unified human-centred approach
- Organise training and design community events internally and externally
- Represent the AA design team with third parties and agencies
- Oversee research approach across several teams, supporting agile processes and ensuring research is effective and efficient in helping teams achieve their goals
- Set the standard for research at the AA, and encourage your team to challenge and raise their own standards
- Ensure stakeholders understand the benefit of measuring the user experience and are fully equipped to do so
- Build strong relationships with Marketing and Insights colleagues, putting in place forums for communication and collaboration
- Stay abreast of market, technological and industry trends, tools and techniques to inform decision-making
What do I need?
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Proven record of leading research on large scale digital projects in multi-functional agile teams
- At least 5 years research experience, with a solid background in formative approaches and evidence of applying these in a fast-paced environment
- At least 1 years’ experience as a facilitator, with demonstrable experience applying a range of methods from Design Thinking to Design Sprints
- Solid understanding of data analytics and other quantitative research tools and techniques
- Strong visualisation skills, able to get outside of the research presentation deck to bring insights to life and make them stick
- Experience of coaching and mentoring colleagues
- Skilled user of common design software such as Axure, Sketch, Zeplin and Invision
- Knowledge of W3C web standards and website accessibility initiatives
- Experience working across web, native app and voice interfaces
- Expertise in qualitative and quantitative design research methods
- Able to understand, analyse and use data to guide design decisions
Education and Qualifications:
- University degree desirable
- Self-starter that takes the initiative to generate new ideas, bring people together and improve ways of working
- Excellent communicator, driving valuable conversations with technical and non-technical colleagues across the business
- Comfortable working at a strategic and conceptual level
- Genuine interest in people, keen to lead and develop a team, helping them to achieve their goals
- Passionate about user-centred design, and the impact it can have on people’s lives
- Reflects and exhibits the AA Brand Values – Courtesy, Care, Expertise, Dynamism and Collaboration
What else is expected of me?
Good conduct matters at the AA. It's very important that you act with honesty & integrity, are respectful of others and have a consistent desire to do the right thing. Everyone at the AA lives these behaviours, so we are all able to support the delivery of good outcomes for our customers.