Independent Chair – Health, Safety & Environment
Road Operations, Road
We are the AA. And we keep everyone’s show on the road. Therefor our customers wherever and whenever they need us, we’re always ready for anything. That’s why, for over 100 years, we’ve continued to evolve and adapt. Today, as the nation’s number one motoring organization, we offer a range of excellent products and services to millions of customers.
Contract: Permanent - 1 day per month
This is the job
To act as the independent chair for the AA Health, Safety and Environment Steering Committee.
To take an independent view on the strategic direction of the company from a Health, Safety and Environmental perspective, ensuring the best interests of the company, its customers, employees and other stakeholders are protected.
To scrutinise and support the activities of the Management Team in meeting the Health Safety & Environment (HSE) goals and objectives set by the business and monitoring the reporting of performance and the efficacy of the processes whereby this is achieved. To provide specific knowledge and skills to create a well-balanced and effective Health, Safety & Environment Steering Committee.
What will I be doing?
To fully understand the business and to fulfil the time commitment by attending the AA Health, Safety and Environment Steering Committee meetings; spending time in the business to develop a better understanding of the business, holding individual 1:1 meetings with key management outside formal scheduled meetings; together with giving appropriate preparation and consideration time for the regular matters on the Health, Safety & Environment Steering Committee agendas and for any matter on HSE within the business that need either ongoing or special attention.
2. To attend the Health, Safety & Environment Steering Committee and contribute to the successful fulfilment of the relevant committee’s Terms of Reference.
3. To chair the Health, Safety & Environment Steering Committee in accordance with its Terms of Reference. To report relevant findings of the Executive Risk and Compliance Committee.
4. To develop a strong understanding of the business and develop relationships across the Health, Safety & Environment Steering Committee to help deliver the strategic and operational development of the business through constructive questioning, robust debate and assessment including against external factors, whether commercial, regulatory or legislative.
5. Provide an extensive external perspective to the business and exercise independent oversight of the business.
6. As a Health, Safety & Environment Steering Committee member, participate in the setting of the business’ strategic goals and provide oversight to the delivery thereof.
7. To scrutinise performance management in meeting goals and objectives and monitor reporting of performance.
8. Provide advice, guidance and direction to the business in the delivery of its strategies and operational objectives.
9. Ensure Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) is embedded in the culture of the AA to deliver the six customer outcomes of right culture, right information, right delivery, right targeting, right advice, and right post sales treatment.
What do I need?
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- A deep strategic Health, Safety & Environment knowledge and expertise, gained over a successful career in an environment with scaled field workers, ideally operating in the context of dangerous locations.
- A clear, and legally informed view of best-practice and appropriate means and ways of working for remote workers, operating in at times challenging environments and locations.
- Deep experience and awareness of operating to C-Level within large and complex organisations.
- A proven track record of developing and implementing strategic change within the Health, Safety and Environmental business areas.
- Experience in effectively chairing formal committees and achieving positive change within large and complex organisations.
- A proven and effective style of operating to find the balance between robust challenge, and encouragement to the Management Team – understanding the context in which the team are operating.
- Ability to influence and shape debate and strategic thinking.
- No material interest, affiliation or activity that constitutes an unmanageable Conflict of Interest.
- Appropriate financial background.
- Attention to detail, first-class enquiry skills and competent to the highest standards of modern corporate governance.
- Ability to contribute the benefit of their individual experience and expertise to the Health, Safety & Environment Steering Committee’s deliberations and in turn help shape the successful formulation and delivery of the Health, Safety & Environment Steering Committee’s remit and agreed strategy.
What else is expected of me?
Good conduct matters at the AA. It's very important that you act with honesty & integrity, are respectful of others and have a consistent desire to do the right thing. Everyone at the AA lives these behaviours, so we are all able to support the delivery of good outcomes for our customers.