Assistant Company Secretary
Head Office, Legal
We are the AA. And we keep everyone’s show on the road. There for our customers wherever and whenever they need us, we’re always ready for anything. That’s why, for over 100 years, we’ve continued to evolve and adapt. Today, as the nation’s number one motoring organization, we offer a range of excellent products and services to millions of customers.
Location - London
This is the job
To assist, provide advice & support the Company Secretarial team in all matters, related to corporate governance and general company administration. To play a key role in driving change, efficiencies, excellence and continued improvement in all facets of the Company Secretariat.
This is a exciting opportunity to be part of transforming & building the function. A critical part of this role is assisting the Senior Assistant Company Secretary in exploring opportunities for improvement, looking closely at the user experience, and seeing projects through from initial assessment, approval and implementation to roll-out.
What will I be doing?
- Providing governance, statutory compliance and company secretarial support within the regulated & insurance entities of the organisation.
- Supporting with the preparation of agenda, papers & minutes for the Board and Committees, ensuring all provided in a timely manner and to a high standard. Accurate allocation of subsequent actions, working closely with executives to ensure actions are delivered as set.
- Working with Non Executive Directors, providing professional, prompt support and information.
- Assisting in ensuring compliance with the UK Corporate Governance Code, Companies Acts, Listing Regime, Takeover Code and other relevant legislation, giving guidance as required.
- Supporting with delivery of executive and all employee share scheme activities, liaising as appropriate with HR, registrars, trustees and external advisors.
- Reviewing & developing statutory compliance processes & procedures to reflect best practice and improve efficiency.
- Drafting sections of the Annual Report and Accounts and assisting with the year end processes. Gathering relevant information well ahead of time and keeping good records.
- Assisting with the effective organisation of the AGM, the production of documents and mailings.
- Assisting in implementing any restructuring or changes whether for tax or other purposes or in the preparation for or post completion formalities of corporate transactions such as M&A.
- Building strong working relationships with other teams e.g. Risk, HR and Finance.
- Active role in the transformation of all Co Sec processes within the organisation, driving quality & efficiencies.
- Helping to document procedures and suggesting process improvements where appropriate.
- Awareness and validation of technologies within the market, helping to assess what would suit and benefit the AA for the present & future, and playing an important part in the approval, implementation and roll-out processes
- Encourage and support the use of technology into day to day processes.
- Ensure Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) is embedded in the culture of the AA to deliver the six customer outcomes of right culture, right information, right delivery, right targeting, right advice, and right post sales treatment.
- Provide support and expertise within a framework of prudent and effective controls which enable risk to be assessed and managed to fit within the Board’s agreed risk appetite.
What do I need?
Capability, Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years’ company secretarial experience in Financial Services / FCA regulated business
- Knowledge & experience of share schemes
- Excellent drafting skills
- Ability to network internally and externally, and keep up-to-date with best practice and technological solutions
- Project management / strong organisational skills
- Experience in part of helping to transform a function
- Strong analytical & IT literacy skills, especially Excel
- Insurance background desirable
- Familiarity with & use of Blueprint and Diligent software desirable
- Use of Sharepoint and Office 365 desirable
- Remuneration Committee experience desirable
- Minute taking experience desirable
Education and Qualifications:
- ICSA qualification
- Degree level education
- Confident and articulate, able to interact and provide support to executives and board members, building trusting relationships & credibility with key stakeholders as a trusted advisor
- Ability to learn to use new technology is critical
- Comfortable within a changing environment
- Customer focussed
- Capability to work with numerical information, analytical and problem solving skills
- Meticulous attention to detail, organisational, planning and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal, team working and written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to competently prioritise work, coping well under pressure, using integrity, urgency and discretion.